Abiword 2.8.6 in alphaOS 12

Post your comments, questions, bug reports or suggest new features for alphaOS
Marv
Proficient

Abiword 2.8.6 in alphaOS 12

Postby Marv » 15 Oct 2013, 04:02

I have a tar.gz of abiword 2.8.6 plus libraries and working spellcheck which works for me and weighs in at 3.3Mb. en only dictionaries onboard. I haven't tried sfsing it yet. It's minimal and roughly 1/10th the reported size of the pacman install which I balked at. If there is any interest I could upload it but respecting forum size limits will not unless really wanted.

darkcity
Competent

Re: Abiword 2.8.6 in alphaOS 12

Postby darkcity » 15 Oct 2013, 12:29

I've always found it to be a bit buggy.

Version 3.0.0 source is out, - stable according to wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AbiWord
http://www.abisource.com/downloads/abiword/3.0.0/source/

Marv
Proficient

Postby Marv » 15 Oct 2013, 14:49

I agree darkcity, all of the 2.8.x abiwords have their 'quirks'. I use it because it's small wrt all of the offices, will open and write to all of the everchanging microslurp formats, spellchecks, and doesn't demand much of the older machines I rescue and rehome. I'll have a go at 3.0.0 and see how it runs. Thanks for the pointer.

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 15 Oct 2013, 17:08

Marv wrote:It's minimal and roughly 1/10th the reported size of the pacman install which I balked at.

whats the difference? pacman adds unnecessary dependencies?

Do you build yourself or is it a binary download?

Marv
Proficient

Postby Marv » 15 Oct 2013, 19:32

Scooby wrote:
Marv wrote:It's minimal and roughly 1/10th the reported size of the pacman install which I balked at.

whats the difference? pacman adds unnecessary dependencies?

Do you build yourself or is it a binary download?

Difference is primarily dependencies pacman adds. All it really needs is wv and libgsf, enchant and hunspell for spellcheck. I didn't compile 2.8.6 from scratch, It's a pure 6Mb binary from a Carolina repo pet. I added libraries, enchant, and hunspell as needed (total is 10Mb uncompressed, 3.3Mb tarball)..

Out of curiosity, I did just compile Abiword 3.0.0 in alphaOS 12. Needs the boost c+++ libriaries which I made into a sfs and loaded along with the dev sfs. Also needs libgsf, wv and libxslt, all fairly small and clean pacman installs. It runs and spellchecks with enchant. HOWEVER :cry: it weighs in at 62Mb (not compressed), not counting any of the dependencies or enchant or hunspell. I was able to trim it some by trimming language strings but the bulk of it (43Mb) is libabiword-3.0.so. So much for curiosity. I'll continue to put 2.8.6 on the older machines and use one of the office suites as an sfs If I ever need the full boat.

john3voltas
Expert

Postby john3voltas » 19 Oct 2013, 17:17

simargl, do you think you should add a text processing tool on the base system?
I've never been too keen on text processing, spreadsheet and office work tools coming on the base system of any OS.
Let's face it, ~60-70% of people use it but ~20-30% don't. I think this is the kind of tool that should be available on a separate sfs along with a full-fledged web browser, a full-fledged image/video editor, etc.
I am not sure if Firefox should be bundled on the base system too. Pacman can handle that.
Every OS should have a basic calculator, a good text editor, a good document viewer (pdf/xps/doc/etc) a basic image viewer and a basic video player.
But alphaOS is your baby and it's up to you to decide what goes in and out of the iso.
Cheers

simargl
Site Admin

Postby simargl » 19 Oct 2013, 23:23

It is easy for anyone to use makesfs and have abiword, gnumeric, geany, gimp or anything else in one sfs or in separate modules. Abiword will not read .docx or it may save wrong formatting, so I think kingston office is better choice now.

Marv
Proficient

Postby Marv » 19 Oct 2013, 23:53

simargl wrote:It is easy for anyone to use makesfs and have abiword, gnumeric, geany, gimp or anything else in one sfs or in separate modules. Abiword will not read .docx or it may save wrong formatting, so I think kingston office is better choice now.

I heartily agree with the SFS approach, especially now since the adrive is working. I do however use Abiword 2.8.6 all the time to translate .docx stuff for my wife... her older microslurp office won't open it :?:

Return to “General Discussion”