noob questions

Post your comments, questions, bug reports or suggest new features for alphaOS
lvds
Apprentice

noob questions

Postby lvds » 22 May 2013, 08:53

Hi :-)

I download the new AlphaOS 7 and I have a few questions:

1. If I install (frugal or full), is it possible to upgrade to a new version in the future ? Or will I have to re-install everything ?

2. I want to download the full KDE desktop, how can I place it into a separate .SFS file ? then later I will be able to change from the original desktop to my KDE, back and forth ?

3. after I have installed all my favourite softwares, how to remaster so I can give the whole stuff to my friends ?

Many thanks for your work, it's great !

simargl
Site Admin

Re: noob questions

Postby simargl » 22 May 2013, 09:44

Hi
I always make frugal installation on my 20GB ext4 partition, that is main advantage to have small and portable Puppy style Arch system and use pacman, with full install it would be just like regular Arch and this work would lose its purpose. Reinstalling simply is equal to replacing those 4 system files: alpha.sfs, extra.sfs, initrd.gz and vmlinuz after release of new version.

I suggest to first try with some lighter desktops like xfce or enlightenment. For xfce first make sfs module with: makesfs xfce4, then rename created file in /mnt/home to desktop_xfce.sfs and click to load it. Next go to /etc/profile.d/openbox.sh and replace
export WINDOW_MANAGER="openbox"
with
export WINDOW_MANAGER="xfce4-session"
After you log out from openbox on next Xorg start you should be looged in xfce. In /root/.start you would need to comment tint2 and volumeicon because xfce has it own panel and volume control.

lvds
Apprentice

Postby lvds » 22 May 2013, 11:41

and what about the 3rd point (remasters) ?

john3voltas
Expert

Postby john3voltas » 22 May 2013, 16:11

remasters?
You can just give your friends your kde.sfs or xfce.sfs and they can load it. No need to remaster.
Although, as yourself, I would also like to remaster the main.sfs too. Simargl, can you clarify?
Cheers

Ramesh Iyer
Apprentice

Desktop Icon & Printer

Postby Ramesh Iyer » 23 May 2013, 06:55

i wants to create desktop icon in desktop. Is any simple method. How to install Printer and setup wired LAN. I have static IP connection. Please provide some simple solution.

simargl
Site Admin

Postby simargl » 23 May 2013, 09:26

To add desktop icons in /root/.start comment first line imlibsetroot... and add spacefm --desktop & bellow, then just go to /usr/share/applications and copy files from there directly to desktop. Problem is that openbox right click menu is then replaced with menu from spacefm, but that can be disabled in options, to restore openbox menu but still have desktop icons. Files shown on desktop are actually inside folder /root/Desktop, so you can copy them to that folder or make symbolic links to real files.

Although, as yourself, I would also like to remaster the main.sfs too.

alpha_70.sfs just contains files needed for system to boot plus pacman, so no need to remaster that one unless you want console system. extra_70.sfs has xorg, openbox, and all of the graphical applications and they are independent on desktop environment you want to use. You can re-squash any sfs module if case you plan to change some files and settings http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/SquashFS-HOWTO/#mksqoverview

dennis
Novice

Postby dennis » 26 May 2013, 00:03

I'm having trouble with the upgrade process. As per the usual easy method, I just Copy the new essential 4 files into alphaOS (directory). But this time it has a kenel panic. I've tried it twice now.

I'm going to use Pburn now and boot from CD. :P

john3voltas
Expert

Postby john3voltas » 26 May 2013, 01:36

Are you using a savefile from a previous alphaOS install?
I'm not sure that is supported...

dennis
Novice

Postby dennis » 26 May 2013, 04:00

That was it (the ol' savefile). Thanks ;)

john3voltas
Expert

Postby john3voltas » 26 May 2013, 11:43

Makes sense.
I don't think savefile can be upgraded even on puppy.
Rule of thumb for me is to create a new savefile on every upgrade of puppy/alphaOS.
Cheers

Return to “General Discussion”