[SOLVED] gnome-mplayer and dvds

Post your comments, questions, bug reports or suggest new features for alphaOS
Marv
Proficient

[SOLVED] gnome-mplayer and dvds

Postby Marv » 06 Oct 2013, 15:24

Need some help from the multimedia folks. mplayer run from terminal plays dvds just fine, it is in /usr/bin and actually is mplayer2. I did make a symlink /dev/dvd to /dev/sr0. gnome-mplayer however finds and loads the dvd and then just stops (goes to idle and will not play). Is there something I need to do re configuration to make this work? Perhaps someone has a /root/.mplayer from a working setup or suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

john3voltas
Expert

Re: gnome-mplayer and dvds

Postby john3voltas » 07 Oct 2013, 20:46

Marv, I am far from a multimedia guy and I usually use VLC because it uses it's own libraries (the ones provided by it's installation) for everything. That makes it almost foolproof.
But I have played a lot with MEncoder and a bit with MPlayer in the past as well as FFMPEG.
Have you opened gnome-mplayer from a sakura terminal window using "gnome-mplayer -v"?
If you have done so, you have discovered that by default it uses MPlayer v1.
You can go into gnome-mplayer settings and choose which MPlayer binary to use. Do that and setup MPlayer2's binary.
Then run it again with -v from the terminal and either hope that it works with MPlayer2 or that at least the terminal window gives you a hint ;)
But I am quite sure you have already done all that so let's hope someone savvy chimes in here.
Cheers

Marv
Proficient

Re: gnome-mplayer and dvds

Postby Marv » 08 Oct 2013, 02:03

Hi John,
This isn't a high priority as the laptop at my wifes shop has several other pups on it and she seems happiest with the lina-lite 005 with an office and a music sfs loaded, but I pick away at it when I have time. I do have it set up to use mplayer2 and with /dev/sr0 as the dvd source and gnome-mplayer does indeed see that it is using mplayer2. Right now I'm leaning toward a libdvdxxx mismatch but haven't really persued it. All the other gnome-players I have are still running with mplayer v1 and work fine so I'll compare the terminal output with theirs when I get there but there are pretty significant differences between mplayer and mplayer2 so that may or may not help. alphaOS 11 continues to be MY first choice by quite a wide margin at the moment and I do stream audio but am not really a dvdish sort. I love the quiet efficiency of alphaOS and haven't come close to it yet in any of my openbox/spacefm mods to slacko or precise ;)

Edit: SOLVED :D libdvdcss needs to be installed. pacman -S libdvdcss does it. note: in gnome-mplayer, Edit>Preferences>Mplayer set Default Optical Device to /dev/sr0. Plays dvds ok now. Haven't tested for dropouts etc yet but it's up.
Further edit: Full screen mode ok, No dropouts or glitches so far through 1 dvd.

Return to “General Discussion”