Very impressed

Post your comments, questions, bug reports or suggest new features for alphaOS
mr green
Competent

Very impressed

Postby mr green » 25 May 2013, 09:23

Just tried out latest AlphaOs and am quite surprised, how on earth did you manage to pack so much into such a small iso?

Still testing at the moment under virtualbox, are there any plans to add a live user? not keen on running as root.

MrG

simargl
Site Admin

Re: Very impressed

Postby simargl » 25 May 2013, 10:00

Hi,
For small size most important thing is squashfs with xz compression, same compressed file system that allowed Slax for example to be under 200MB with KDE4 included. Next, kernel is recompiled to add aufs support and resulting package is 17MB, while original from Arch is 45MB, then removed /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/locale from base module (alpha.sfs), moved static libraries and all development files to separate module (devel.sfs).

There is unprivileged user already set, but not very much tested, except for starting some applications that refuse to run as root like vlc and chromium. User is called alpha with password alpha, home folder is /opt/home/alpha.

Cheers

mr green
Competent

Postby mr green » 25 May 2013, 10:16

I know that chromium is huge compared to firefox, only advantage is that chrome does not need flashplugin. Been trying to get ArchBang iso smaller for past two years and we weigh in at over 500mb.

Normally I add 'user' stuff to /etc/skel then create user 'live' during build.

simargl
Site Admin

Postby simargl » 25 May 2013, 12:46

When it is meant for full installation iso size is not that important, I think 500MB is not bad at all. I tried ArchBang in 2010 or 2011 and liked it, for openbox and similarity with crunchbang. Keep things simple that is good idea. From another Arch based systems few days ago I tried antergos with gnome 3, and it is very fast and lightweight, Manjaro also seems very popular lately, so there is plenty of choice for everyone.

Return to “General Discussion”