Next version of alphaos

Post your comments, questions, bug reports or suggest new features for alphaOS
jonas
Competent
Posts: 21
Joined: 19 Sep 2014, 11:46

Re: Next version of alphaos

Postby jonas » 30 Jan 2015, 16:49

Scooby wrote:What are the advantages of savefolder?


Main advantage as I understand it is not having to specify a file size in advance (and resizing it when it becomes too small or wasting space by making it too large): http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SaveFile. Would be nice but I understand if it is not a top priority.

efgee
Expert
Posts: 115
Joined: 29 Dec 2013, 20:58

Re: Next version of alphaos

Postby efgee » 30 Jan 2015, 18:33

jonas wrote:
Scooby wrote:What are the advantages of savefolder?


Main advantage as I understand it is not having to specify a file size in advance (and resizing it when it becomes too small or wasting space by making it too large): http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SaveFile. Would be nice but I understand if it is not a top priority.


If I remember correctly, this is the way Debian Live does it.
A while back I've experimented with Debian Live and it worked pretty well.
While using alphaOS, some stuff I work with (code, apps,...) reside outside the save file, no problems so far.

Scooby
Site Admin
Posts: 826
Joined: 09 Sep 2013, 16:52

Re: Next version of alphaos

Postby Scooby » 30 Jan 2015, 21:21

seems many people are interested in savefolder

Maybe not so hard?
intead of mount -o loop we use mount -o bind

However when is this behaviour gonna kick in?

Probably use with new boot parameter?
or have it similar to savefile if a dir called changes is existent in alphaos
boot dir then use it as savefolder

for usbmode as well?
and how does that work out with the requirement to be a linux fs
and wich fs's? ext or more general like btrfs?

I am not gonna use this feature anyway so step up and tell me
exactly what you want

efgee
Expert
Posts: 115
Joined: 29 Dec 2013, 20:58

Re: Next version of alphaos

Postby efgee » 31 Jan 2015, 04:06

Scooby wrote:seems many people are interested in savefolder

Not sure about this one, as it's not a "must have" feature for me.

BTW: Debian Live did it automatically. There was nothing I had to initiate...

Scooby
Site Admin
Posts: 826
Joined: 09 Sep 2013, 16:52

Re: Next version of alphaos

Postby Scooby » 31 Jan 2015, 12:51

efgee wrote:BTW: Debian Live did it automatically. There was nothing I had to initiate...


So you are required to use persistence in debian live?
In alphaos it will always be optional but could be automated to some level.

Also how does debian live handle different filesystems or do they have a requirement?

*edit*
from here

"By 'full persistence' it is meant that instead of using a tmpfs for storing modifications to the read-only media (with the copy-on-write, COW, system) a writable partition is used. In order to use this feature a partition with a clean writable supported filesystem on it labeled "live-rw" must be attached on the system at bootime and the system must be started with the boot parameter 'persistent'. "



There was nothing you had to initiate...?????

efgee
Expert
Posts: 115
Joined: 29 Dec 2013, 20:58

Re: Next version of alphaos

Postby efgee » 01 Feb 2015, 04:25

Scooby wrote:*edit*
from here

"By 'full persistence' it is meant that instead of using a tmpfs for storing modifications to the read-only media (with the copy-on-write, COW, system) a writable partition is used. In order to use this feature a partition with a clean writable supported filesystem on it labeled "live-rw" must be attached on the system at bootime and the system must be started with the boot parameter 'persistent'. "

There was nothing you had to initiate...?????

Yeah that one...
:oops:
Sorry, it was long time ago...
...and I'm an old fart with bad memory...

Scooby
Site Admin
Posts: 826
Joined: 09 Sep 2013, 16:52

Re: Next version of alphaos

Postby Scooby » 01 Feb 2015, 10:41

no problem m8

jonas
Competent
Posts: 21
Joined: 19 Sep 2014, 11:46

Re: Next version of alphaos

Postby jonas » 03 Feb 2015, 09:14

I just tested version 16.1 and noticed that hardware keys for controlling screen backlight stopped working (they worked in 15.4). I can still change brightness using xbacklight so it's just the hardware keys that stopped working.

Just to summarize the hardware issues I'm having ("out-of-the-box") on my newest laptop:

1. No wireless
2. No sound
3. No hardware control of screen backlight

Scooby
Site Admin
Posts: 826
Joined: 09 Sep 2013, 16:52

Re: Next version of alphaos

Postby Scooby » 03 Feb 2015, 09:30

jonas wrote:1. No wireless
2. No sound
3. No hardware control of screen backlight


1. we will fix but what's up with sound?
also a driver issue? What hardware do you have?

For number three
it's hard for me to test and work with.
I will serve in an advisory role but you will
have to try fixing it yourself. If you find a solution let me know. We can then together
determine if it should be incorporated in iso.

After checking it seems doable checkout
https://wiki..org/index.php/Extra_keyboard_keys_in_Xorg

Also I would compare the two versions of alphaos
to determine if it is a config diff, perhaps in
openbox config files

All right, checked this out a little bit and will
put it on my todo list for next release. Jonas will you commit to test this in next release?

jonas
Competent
Posts: 21
Joined: 19 Sep 2014, 11:46

Re: Next version of alphaos

Postby jonas » 03 Feb 2015, 17:29

Ok, I found a solution to 3. If I boot with kernel parameter video.use_native_backlight=0 it works. Apparently the default setting changed in linux 3.16 (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/backlight#Kernel_command-line_options) so this was not directly related to alphaos.

For the audio, I'm guessing it's a driver issue. Will do some more testing...


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron