Next version of alphaos

Post your comments, questions, bug reports or suggest new features for alphaOS
Scooby
Site Admin

Re: Next version of alphaos

Postby Scooby » 03 Feb 2015, 19:58

jonas wrote:Ok, I found a solution to 3.
For the audio, I'm guessing it's a driver issue. Will do some more testing...

That is great news man, good job
I scratch it from my TODO list then

Let me know you're findings regarding audio, ok?

jonas
Competent

Postby jonas » 03 Feb 2015, 22:23

The audio problem turned out to be a bit silly... On this laptop, two sound cards are detected and alsa uses the one for hdmi output by default. To fix this I had to create a conf file in /etc/modprobe.d. Hmm, I guess I should do more testing before blaming problems on alphaos...

Anniekin
Competent

Postby Anniekin » 04 Feb 2015, 02:30

jonas wrote:I found out sim is using a custom linux-firmware module which is of size 2.7MB
the on on arch is 24MB

He also did a great job shrinking mesa but I had to install the full version in order to make opengl and compositing work

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 04 Feb 2015, 11:12

Anniekin wrote:He also did a great job shrinking mesa but I had to install the full version in order to make opengl and compositing work

you used the same version? what was the
difference in size?

Anniekin
Competent

Postby Anniekin » 06 Feb 2015, 21:32

dunno just installed from repo a couple months ago pacman -Q mesa shows 10.3.2-1 according to his post he shrank it from about 30mb to about 3mb

crashsite
Apprentice

Postby crashsite » 07 Feb 2015, 04:29

Scooby wrote:I will try to rewrite it. Which browser are you running that doesn't work.
Anyway you who are familiar with sq-file should be a fast fix. Add you own browser to list in /usr/bin/web-browser and sq-file it!?

ohh that's how it works... indeed i'm using firefox-esr which is not in the list... added and it works fine... thanks for the easy tip!

Scooby wrote:Are you running in a hypervisor i.e. something like virtualbox?

can you still reach a terminal? Can you get some error messages?

No one else have reported this

Well yes I can reach terminal with the right click menu or "windows+T". I don't get an error message directly (pop-up) but i'll look in the logs next time it happens.
I'm having a few weird issues and I am wondering if there is something weird with my setup. I recently did a fresh install on a new USB key (FAT) and there seems to be less issues. Remember my problems with permissions with any custom modules? I guess I am the only one having this too....

And then for other features.... My backlight/brightness control keys are not working either. I'll test the fix posted by Jonas... I have an intel video card coming with the laptop.

and i'm also OK with having more features for ~200mb iso. :)

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 07 Feb 2015, 22:35

crashsite wrote:ohh that's how it works... indeed i'm using firefox-esr which is not in the list... added and it works fine... thanks for the easy tip!

I will add to the end of the script to something like

Code: Select all

tmp=(/usr/bin/firefox*)
[ ! -z tmp ] &&  "${tmp[0]} $URL" && exit 0

so it would run first match of a firefox* in /usr/bin
if no other browsers found

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 07 Feb 2015, 22:36

Anniekin wrote:dunno just installed from repo a couple months ago pacman -Q mesa shows 10.3.2-1 according to his post he shrank it from about 30mb to about 3mb

How the F*** did sim do that?

Anyway I'm not sure sim shrunk it in the latest builds
The whole 02_xorg group in def-scripts was removed??

crashsite
Apprentice

Postby crashsite » 10 Feb 2015, 04:58

hmm I was wondering about something but I fear that it might not be so easy to do...
I usually run in toram mode, so i get good speed and more importantly a fresh & clean OS every time I boot. I recently had to use Wine to run a fairly large Windows program. Wine + the program + personnal stuff + AlphaOs takes about 2.5gig out of 4gig that this computer has. The program when executed try to load about 1gig of ram... and that's where i'm out of memory and luck.

Would there be any way to have let's say a savefile that could be loaded not into ram, but as a virtual drive or something similar? We could install large programs, and let the large files stay on a USB key or external HDD. When needed, activate the savefile and run the programs or play with your files.

The main difference with a full install : flexibility. If you do a full install to a USB key, then install your programs normally (not sb modules) then the installation can't be executed in toram mode anymore. The installation get too large to load up in ram. And it would save long boot time if you create large SB modules :)
Still need to put some thoughts in this ...

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 10 Feb 2015, 11:50

if RAM is not enough you could turn on swap.

There is also zram, which is present in Linux live kit but sim commented it out.

I must confess I didn't get your idea?

maybe you could boot with load=none boot parameter plus toram. will only put alphaos original bundles in ram

you probably have a lot of sb that aren't vital
for the wine operation? maybe you could separate out the vital ones. not all have to be
used in toram mode? you also could load dynamicallt after boot the bundles

Possibly with its own bootdir. I made an implementation before that would let you
specify module/ directory as a bootparameter.

you can load a savefile readonly after a boot.

beware that anything you put in /modules dir
will be toram'ed

Please outline which way is possible for you
to go

Return to “General Discussion”