[Solved]wifi stop working with any custom sb module

Post your comments, questions, bug reports or suggest new features for alphaOS
crashsite
Apprentice

[Solved]wifi stop working with any custom sb module

Postby crashsite » 13 Jan 2015, 05:06

Hi everyone,

First of all, nice work with AlphaOS! It looks really powerful if I can get a few things to work...

So wireless setup can be done easily with a fresh AlphaOS installation. No problem adding any packages from the repository using makesb. I can even load Scoobytools.sb without any problems. But any folders that I squash to create an .sb module will prevent the wireless to come ON. This is really weird.

I tried the .bashrc functions from Scooby again (thanks for being so helpful on this forum by the way), and I can create the sb module with only the /root/.bashrc file in it. I can activate the module right away and no problems with the wireless. If the module gets activated at boot by placing it in the /modules folder of my usb key, then I can't get the wireless to activate. I tried with sbcomb, same issue. I tried with sq-session too, but still no luck.

I can see the "wlo1" device when I run ifconfig or iwconfig. It's obviously not connected... iwlwifi driver seems to be there when looking with lsmod.
Turning the wifi on with connman-ui doesn't seem to do anything. If I remove all my own .sb modules and reboot, then I get the Wifi working again.

Any clue on this weird behavior?

Note: I tried to squash just a blank test.txt file in /root. This module doesn't stop the wifi to work...
Note2: I tried just to setup the wifi parameters and save the setup with sq-session script. This module breaks the wifi...

Thanks !

Scooby
Site Admin

Re: wifi stop working with any custom sb module

Postby Scooby » 13 Jan 2015, 17:44

crashsite wrote:First of all, nice work with AlphaOS!

Yep, Simargl did really good

crashsite wrote:... from Scooby again (thanks for being so helpful on this forum by the way)

Thansk man, keep it coming, I need more :o

crashsite wrote:Any clue on this weird behavior?

Could be a permissions problem perhaps?
When you build the module by hand, on what filesystem are you on then?

Try building module by hand in /tmp

Maybe you could upload a .sb somewhere that breaks your system
so I can download it and investigate?

crashsite
Apprentice

Postby crashsite » 14 Jan 2015, 05:06

Permissions : tried to copy the /root/.bashrc file to /tmp and recreated the folders from there. Set permission to read & write for everyone. The I used sbcomb to create the SB module... but still no luck, wifi just doesn't want to activate.

Note: I tried to remove all other modules and keep the one attached to this post only. I can confirm that with Connmand at least Wifi won't even start. I don't use a savefile, in case it makes any difference.

I am booting toram from a USB stick formatted in FAT32. I'm not sure if the FAT32 is still the filesystem once loaded in RAM with the live kit...??

Any help would be much appreciated!
thanks
Attachments
testmodule.tar
(5.5 KiB) Downloaded 682 times

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 14 Jan 2015, 11:18

crashsite wrote:Permissions : tried to copy the /root/.bashrc file to /tmp and recreated the folders from there. Set permission to read & write for everyone. The I used sbcomb to create the SB module... but still no luck, wifi just doesn't want to activate.

Note: I tried to remove all other modules and keep the one attached to this post only. I can confirm that with Connmand at least Wifi won't even start. I don't use a savefile, in case it makes any difference.

Your setup is almost exactly like mine, Nothing strange with first inspection of .sb
is the dir were you keep modules( i.e. /mnt/live/memory/data ) ntfs or FAT32?

crashsite wrote:I am booting toram from a USB stick formatted in FAT32. I'm not sure if the FAT32 is still the filesystem once loaded in RAM with the live kit...??

it's a tmpfs or aufs, more like ext filesystem I guess

crashsite wrote:Any help would be much appreciated!

I will help
Your problem is very strange, I will have to try your module out meself.

my root of fs has

Code: Select all

ls -ld /
drwxr-xr-x 190 root root 320 Jan 14 10:10 //

the root / in your sb is

ls -ld
drwxrw-rw- 3 root root 60 Jan  9 00:03 ./

Try and make it r-x for users and others

chmod 755 -R myDir2sbScript
sbcomb -m myDir2sbScript

Test this and report if it doesn't change anything
I will make further analysis

crashsite
Apprentice

[Solved] wifi stop working with any custom sb module

Postby crashsite » 15 Jan 2015, 05:32

wow... fixed just by changing the permissions!
Thanks Scooby!

Scooby wrote:is the dir were you keep modules( i.e. /mnt/live/memory/data ) ntfs or FAT32?

I assume that it is FAT32, same as the USB stick. Is there a way to confirm?

For reference, I did a frugal installation on a FAT32 usb stick. Booting with ToRam param, and not using savefiles. So at boot, only sb modules are loaded.

chmod 755 -R myDir2sbScript
sbcomb -m myDir2sbScript

the chmod fixed the issue.

I updated the sbcomb and .bashrc scripts to perform a chmod 755 -R "$1" before the mksquashfs command. I can post the changes if someone want to see.

Scooby
Site Admin

Re: [Solved] wifi stop working with any custom sb module

Postby Scooby » 15 Jan 2015, 20:05

crashsite wrote:I assume that it is FAT32, same as the USB stick. Is there a way to confirm?

Do below to see what filesystems you've got on your system

lsblk -f | grep -v loop

crashsite wrote:I updated the sbcomb and .bashrc scripts to perform a chmod 755 -R "$1" before the mksquashfs command. I can post the changes if someone want to see.

funny, I have never needed to change permissions when making bundle
Glad a solution presented itself

BTW I marked your first post as solved

crashsite
Apprentice

Re: [Solved]wifi stop working with any custom sb module

Postby crashsite » 16 Jan 2015, 04:32

Running the command

lsblk -f | grep -v loop

I get:

NAME   FSTYPE   LABEL      UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT
sda                                                             
|-sda1 ntfs     System     BC56BFAE56BF67B2                     
`-sda2 ntfs     Local Disk 7E72C70272C6BDE1                     
sdb                                                             
`-sdb1 vfat     PENDRIVE   2E1E-6B0B                            /mnt/sdb1
sr0                                                             

which shows what I have on my system... 1 HDD with two NTFS partition for Windoze and the USB stick in FAT32 to try AlphaOS.

Scooby wrote:funny, I have never needed to change permissions when making bundle

Well I had to be the first one... :? I guess you are using an ext4 filesystem?
I also have a few weird openbox freezes (task bar and menu would freeze, and doing Right click->Openbox->restart didn't help. Also makesb would fail (in fact arch2sb, the mksquashfs had issues) when I downloaded a large amount of packages. Like Wine and its 90+ dependencies.

I'll keep an eye on those permissions... thanks for the help.

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 16 Jan 2015, 19:14

crashsite wrote:Well I had to be the first one... :? I guess you are using an ext4 filesystem?
I also have a few weird openbox freezes (task bar and menu would freeze, and doing Right click->Openbox->restart didn't help. Also makesb would fail (in fact arch2sb, the mksquashfs had issues) when I downloaded a large amount of packages. Like Wine and its 90+ dependencies.

I have the same setup. With internal ntfs hdd and fat32 usb drive.

I place my modules in a dir on ntfs though

You have something odd, I made the bundle for wine without problem.
Though I use a modifed makesb that builds in /tmp and that is something like ext4

Do you have enough RAM?

I have 6GB

crashsite
Apprentice

Postby crashsite » 17 Jan 2015, 03:35

I have (only) 4 gig of RAM actually.
I'm running on an HP laptop Elitebook 8470p. I still have the Fn keys to get working.

Maybe I should change the makesb script to work in the /tmp folder also. I'll keep that in mind.

I was using Slax 7 for the past year and never had issues with this laptop. I know that it's not telling much ;)

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 17 Jan 2015, 13:04

4 gigs is plenty enough

I have

free --giga
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:            5           2            3          1               0                1

Return to “General Discussion”