SpaceFM - Automount Digital Camera (PTP only)

Post your comments, questions, bug reports or suggest new features for alphaOS
cuscotravelservices

SpaceFM - Automount Digital Camera (PTP only)

Postby cuscotravelservices » 09 Jan 2015, 00:05

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for Distributions that use SpaceFM as the default File Manager and Desktop Manager.

Does alphaos have SpaceFM configured to automatically mount PTP Digital Cameras (USB)?

Thank you, Michael.

Scooby
Site Admin

Re: SpaceFM - Automount Digital Camera (PTP only)

Postby Scooby » 09 Jan 2015, 20:07

spacefm is default filemanager

Spacefm can easily be made to be desktopmanager i.e by editing /root/.start
There are examples of this on the forum

I dunnow know about usb camera but it will mount usb memory sticks automatically

cuscotravelservices

Postby cuscotravelservices » 10 Jan 2015, 20:59

Which is the default Desktop Manager?

I'm still very much a New Linux user but not new to computing. Documentation is dreadful which is the main factor inhibiting my progress with installing and configuring systems.

I am looking for another Distro for my Laptop as well as trying to configure GALPon MiniNo Ártabros 2.1 on an old Pentium 4 Desktop for my landlord's daughter who is only 9 years old and hence I want things to be seamless for her.

I was hoping that alphaOS already had this problem solved given that SpaceFM is the File Manager and then I could apply the same techniques to MiniNo Ártabros.

I was hoping that I could add an entry to the udevil.conf file for the GVFS Daemon so that SpaceFM can automaticaly detect and mount PTP cameras.

I tried the following in the udevil.conf file but without success.

default_options_fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon = nosuid, noexec, nodev, noatime, uid=$UID, gid=$GID
default_options_gvfs-fuse-daemon = nosuid, noexec, nodev, noatime, uid=$UID, gid=$GID

With GALPon MiniNo Ártabros 2.1, which has GVFS installed by default to support PCManFM, once the camera has been mounted by PCManFM (which appears to have 'hooks' for gvfs) or via the command line using gvfs-mount gphoto2://[usb:bbb,ddd]/ (where bbb = the USB Bus and ddd = the USB Device on the bbb Bus), SpaceFM can access the files on the camera which are mounted at HOME/<USER>/.gvfs.

I can see that SpaceFM is detecting the camera being mounted to the system because I can see a new entry being added under /dev/bus/usb/bbb (where bbb = the USB Bus identifier) but there is nothing being displayed in the Devices pane of SpaceFM and it can only view the files when either the gphotofs or "gvfs-mount gphoto2" commands have been executed but there is still nothing displayed in the Devices pane.

The documentation for SpaceFM and udevil appear to be written for people who already have a thorough understanding of the ins and outs of mounting file systems with Linux. Therefore, I am finding it rather difficult to determine if what I am trying to achieve is feasible or not.

Thanks, Michael.

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 11 Jan 2015, 13:00

cuscotravelservices wrote:Which is the default Desktop Manager?

If you say openbox is alphaos's window manager I guess we aint got a desktop manager on by default
though spacefm can be easily set up to do this.

wallpaper is handled by wpset ( vala application by Simargl)
system-info supplied by conky. program-bar at the bottom is tint2

cuscotravelservices wrote:I'm still very much a New Linux user but not new to computing. Documentation is dreadful which is the main factor inhibiting my progress with installing and configuring systems.

Same for us all, learn by solving. Some find it challenging and fun
I am myself a windows refugee

cuscotravelservices wrote:I was hoping that I could add an entry to the udevil.conf file for the GVFS Daemon so that SpaceFM can automaticaly detect and mount PTP cameras.

Neither gvfs or udevil is present in alphaos by default, did you install and configure them yourself?

cuscotravelservices wrote:With GALPon MiniNo Ártabros 2.1, which has GVFS installed by default to support PCManFM, once the camera has been mounted by PCManFM (which appears to have 'hooks' for gvfs) or via the command line using gvfs-mount gphoto2://[usb:bbb,ddd]/ (where bbb = the USB Bus and ddd = the USB Device on the bbb Bus), SpaceFM can access the files on the camera which are mounted at HOME/<USER>/.gvfs.

I know nothing of MiniNo Ártabros 2.1, it's a linux OS right?

Anyway if it works with PCManFM why do you want to switch?

You could install PCManFM on alphaos

cuscotravelservices wrote: Therefore, I am finding it rather difficult to determine if what I am trying to achieve is feasible or not.

I don't know either, you have to try it out
Sounds like it is feasible?

Return to “General Discussion”