Beta tester/Bugs

Post your comments, questions, bug reports or suggest new features for alphaOS
MalwareMedic
Apprentice

Beta tester/Bugs

Postby MalwareMedic » 21 Sep 2014, 23:31

Hello I am a programmer from MalwareMedic an antivirus program for windows and would like to become a beta tester for alpha OS, although I program for windows I use linux because of the 1026 reasons.
Not sure if the right people to sign me up for that read this if not please tell me where I can.

Known Bugs:
-When installed it uses root which causes problems installing stuff
-When installing yaourt it refuses to install any packages saying there missing I believe this is because you don't have support for them please add yaourt or packer with your OS if you don't mind
-No way to change applications of panel/bar (I might be wrong about this)

Please note I'm using the latest version.
If you haven't had these bugs please leave a comment

Scooby
Site Admin

Re: Beta tester/Bugs

Postby Scooby » 22 Sep 2014, 16:15

First of all alphaos is not really a beta I believe but your comments are valuable all the same
You are welcome here

MalwareMedic wrote:-When installed it uses root which causes problems installing stuff

This is by design and not actually a bug
You could change user to "alpha" if in trouble

MalwareMedic wrote:-When installing yaourt it refuses to install any packages saying there missing I believe this is because you don't have support for them please add yaourt or packer with your OS if you don't mind

packer is the preferred tool for alphaos since it is used by great script makesb

packer is included in devel_15.sb

put that in your /modules directory and either
1) add it to union with bundle -a devel_15.sb
or
2) reboot

I am not sure what level your skill with linux is but you may have to issue first

Code: Select all

pacman -Sy

packer in devel_15.sb is patched for update-ca-certificates so you don't
have to do that

if you like the modular approach have a look at makesb

MalwareMedic wrote:-No way to change applications of panel/bar (I might be wrong about this)

I think you mean tint2.
You can change it by edit /root/.config/tint2/tint2rc by going to right click system menu
and choose openbox--> Tint2 panel --> Edit config file

Are you running through VirtualBox?

MalwareMedic
Apprentice

Postby MalwareMedic » 23 Sep 2014, 01:11

Thank you for answering my questions I am a programmer for windows and have ubuntu and recently bridge linux mostly so I don't know much about arch linux stuff. I don't know if your a programmer or you have any power to what happens in the next release however it should add a user/alpha part to the grub menu. Its ok as its setup ,but this would be more logical to me.

I am not a huge fan of packer never installed it before not sure if makesb can make stuff from aur will try later. I noticed that when you use pacman
-Syy or -Syu it downloads the alpha core and alpha stuff not arch stuff. Not sure if that means it could be out of date if so I suggest switching to the direct arch files.

You said that packer it supposed to be used on this os instead of yaourt however you didn't say you can't use yaourt so I would like to ask is it possible to install it a different way?

And as the things you proved me wrong about the panel and the user I think that should be added to the read me files (It might be I didn't read them all)

Just trying to help improve this as I am more of a working os out of box guy then configure it. I do like having no programs installed as you can build up. If there is anything else I can do to help please mention it I will continue to TRY to find bugs.

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 23 Sep 2014, 17:37

MalwareMedic wrote: I don't know if your a programmer

I am

MalwareMedic wrote:or you have any power to what happens in the next release

Not that much, I discuss things with sim but sim has got final descision
sim created alphaos.

MalwareMedic wrote:not sure if makesb can make stuff from aur will try later.

it can

MalwareMedic wrote:I noticed that when you use pacman
-Syy or -Syu it downloads the alpha core and alpha stuff not arch stuff. Not sure if that means it could be out of date if so I suggest switching to the direct arch files.

Alphaos uses ARM ( arch rollback machine ) and packages at a specific date
see

> cat /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
# WARNING! Do not edit this file if you want stable system!
Server = http://seblu.net/a/arm/2014/04/16/$repo/os/$arch

Both pacman -Syy and -Syu works OK here. Syncs all the repo's

> pacman -Syy
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                     111.9 KiB   583K/s 00:00 [#########################] 100%
 extra                   1573.6 KiB   773K/s 00:02 [#########################] 100%
 community                  2.1 MiB   905K/s 00:02 [#########################] 100%
 multilib                 115.3 KiB   716K/s 00:00 [#########################] 100%
[18:31 root@alphaos ~] > pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Packages (1): opera-12.16.1860-2

Total Download Size:    13.43 MiB
Total Installed Size:   45.03 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n

MalwareMedic wrote: you didn't say you can't use yaourt so I would like to ask is it possible to install it a different way?

You are free to use whatever but I aint keen on spending to much time on yaourt when packer works
I'll take a quick look

check out
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1180#p3367

MalwareMedic wrote:And as the things you proved me wrong about the panel and the user I think that should be added to the read me files (It might be I didn't read them all)

yeah either that or you could google it

MalwareMedic wrote:Just trying to help improve this as I am more of a working os out of box guy then configure it.

Yeah you a windows guy but linux is a little more fidling, That's half the fun :D

MalwareMedic wrote: can build up. If there is anything else I can do to help please mention it I will continue to TRY to find bugs.

Thank you

MalwareMedic
Apprentice

Postby MalwareMedic » 27 Sep 2014, 19:30

For the devel_15.sb file which modules folder do I put it in?
The one in /etc/modules
The one in /etc/modules-load.d
The one in /usr/lib/modules

And there are many more.

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 27 Sep 2014, 19:38

MalwareMedic wrote:For the devel_15.sb file which modules folder do I put it in?
The one in /etc/modules
The one in /etc/modules-load.d
The one in /usr/lib/modules

And there are many more.

Yep, sorry for taking this for granted

In install directory( many uses alphaos/ as name for this), ie from where you boot, you have these files and folders

alpha_15.sb
boot/
changes.fs4
extra_15.sb
modules/

this modules/ directory is used by alphaOS to load bundles at startup

MalwareMedic
Apprentice

Postby MalwareMedic » 28 Sep 2014, 15:41

I got packer to work however I think pacman has an issue likes its outdated or something I did pacman -Syu and -Syy and I can install stuff like chromium, but it says target "wine" not found when trying to install wine

I know it is there cause it works on arch bang is pacman still outdated? makesb has the same issue.

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 28 Sep 2014, 17:58

MalwareMedic wrote:I got packer to work

Did you get yaourt to work?

MalwareMedic wrote:however I think pacman has an issue likes its outdated or something I did pacman -Syu and -Syy and I can install stuff like chromium, but it says target "wine" not found when trying to install wine

I know it is there cause it works on arch bang is pacman still outdated?

> pacman -Ss wine
multilib/wine 1.7.16-1
    A compatibility layer for running Windows programs

As you see in my output of pacman search wine is present in multilib
meaning it's 32-bit application needing special dependencies to run on 64-bit

To enable multilib uncomment in /etc/pacman.conf line 94-95
and then run pacman -Sy to update multilib repo db

#[multilib]
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

If you haven't done it I suggest you uncomment line 33

#Color

Will give coloured output in terminal for easier readability.

MalwareMedic wrote:makesb has the same issue.

yes since makesb uses pacman( or packer which in turn uses pacman :D ) this is natural

MalwareMedic
Apprentice

Postby MalwareMedic » 01 Oct 2014, 23:50

I didn't bother with yaourt I like packer the only reason I liked yaourt was because I KNEW it worked very good.

I understand why running in root is so great amazing idea and once again it solves many things from typing "sudo" or "su" anyway as always you know the answer and once again this very helpful information SHOULD be in the readme files. I can collect everything you have told me (Anything useful anyway) and put it into a guide kinda thing for a readme if you would like including how to use spaceFM as a desktop and such.

Just a question, but why isn't devel_15.sb loaded/included by default? Is it because it is a minimalistic os?

Also makesb makes a .sb of course and pacman doesn't remove it and since it is loaded I can't manually either so what can I do to remove it?
And I can install wine, but pacman -S jre doesn't work and makesb jre tells me there is a dependency needed (java-common) and when I try to install that it says it doesn't exist.
Last edited by MalwareMedic on 02 Oct 2014, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 02 Oct 2014, 11:39

MalwareMedic wrote:I understand why running in root is so great amazing idea and once again it solves many things from typing "sudo" or "su" anyway as always you know the answer and once again this very helpful information SHOULD be in the readme files. I can collect everything you have told me and put it into a guide kinda thing for a readme if you would like including how to use spaceFM as a desktop and such.

If you want it included in next alphaos iso I suggest you pm simargl about it

MalwareMedic wrote: (Anything useful anyway)

What was not useful?

MalwareMedic wrote:Just a question, but why isn't devel_15.sb loaded/included by default? Is it because it is a minimalistic os?

yes and maybe it also was an inheritance from our days as puppy linux

MalwareMedic wrote:Also makesb makes a .sb of course and pacman doesn't remove it and since it is loaded I can't manually either so what can I do to remove it?

Bundles can be unloaded from cmd line with

bundle -d MalwareMedic.sb

loaded with

bundle -a MalwareMedic.sb

I use "toram" boot parameter. I don't remember if it is the same with normal boot but I can
freely rename, move or delete .sb's from module/ folder
Even if they can't be unloaded and that happens from time to time
for instance when a filehandle is open on a file originating from that .sb

you could also have a second boot entry including boot parameter "load=none"
which boots alphaos without loading any bundles from modules/ dir

or you could fire up your old windows install which I know you have
and remove sb from there

Return to “General Discussion”