wireless lan not working

Post your comments, questions, bug reports or suggest new features for alphaOS
anonymous2
Apprentice

Re: wireless lan not working

Postby anonymous2 » 21 Sep 2014, 03:51

Scooby wrote:
jonas wrote:Adding MODULES in rc.conf does not work for me either when I boot with usbmode but it works without usbmode. It seems the savefile is not visible to rc.sysinit when mounted in usbmode (what does this mean exactly?). This seems like unintended behaviour to me.

I will investigate and come back to you and explain the difference

yepp in this case it is true
setup_services() which will add savefile to union is called after loading_kernel_modules()
so rc.conf from is not visible at that time.

No this is not intended behaviour

anonymous2 are you running usbmode?

Yes I was running usbmode. And I can confirm now, that without usbmode modules get loaded.

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 21 Sep 2014, 13:54

jonas wrote: usbmode (what does this mean exactly?).

The purpose of usbmode is to save writes on a usb flash drive

To fascilitate this savefile is not added to union during initram boot
but after change_root. During initram boot savefile is mounted on
/mnt/live/memory/bundles/changes.fs4

Then when boot has come to rc.sysinit that mount-point is added to
union in read-only mode.

All changes that are made to system gets temporarily stored
in RAM. Only at shutdown/reboot will data be copied from
RAM to the savefile at mountpoint /mnt/live/memory/bundles/changes.fs4

jonas
Competent

Postby jonas » 22 Sep 2014, 13:44

Scooby wrote:To fascilitate this savefile is not added to union during initram boot
but after change_root. During initram boot savefile is mounted on
/mnt/live/memory/bundles/changes.fs4

Then when boot has come to rc.sysinit that mount-point is added to
union in read-only mode.

But why can't the savefile be added read-only to union at the same time as other bundles, e.g. in union_append_bundles()? Not being able to use rc.conf to configure additional daemons and modules kind of limits the usefulness of usbmode.

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 22 Sep 2014, 14:55

jonas wrote:But why can't the savefile be added read-only to union at the same time as other bundles, e.g. in union_append_bundles()? Not being able to use rc.conf to configure additional daemons and modules kind of limits the usefulness of usbmode.

The answer to that is yes it could be done that way but Sim just wants to change the Linux-live scripts as little as possible.

What makes it a little bit harder is that it is important to have the savefile added to union at the top

Anyway it could be done earlier in the rc.sysinit flow so you could add daemons also

for instance you could alter /etc/rc.d/functions either by decompress alpha_15.sb or via savefile or bundle and add read_bootcodes call to the top of
function loading_kernel_modules() as in

Code: Select all

loading_kernel_modules()
{
    read_bootcodes

If you like you could then comment out read_bootcodes call at the end of setup_services()

jonas
Competent

Postby jonas » 22 Sep 2014, 15:27

Scooby wrote:The answer to that is yes it could be done that way but Sim just wants to change the Linux-live scripts as little as possible.

Ok, I can understand that but alphaOS already adds e.g. a save_file_activate() function. It would be a small addition to have another function after union_append_bundles() that checks for usbmode and, if present, adds savefile to union.

Scooby wrote:What makes it a little bit harder is that it is important to have the savefile added to union at the top

I thought it should not be at the top in case of usbmode, just before other bundles.

Scooby wrote:for instance you could alter /etc/rc.d/functions either by decompress alpha_15.sb or via savefile or bundle and add read_bootcodes call to the top of
function loading_kernel_modules()

Except I can't do it via savefile...

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 22 Sep 2014, 15:49

jonas wrote:Ok, I can understand that but alphaOS already adds e.g. a save_file_activate() function. It would be a small addition to have another function after union_append_bundles() that checks for usbmode and, if present, adds savefile to union.

For me no problem but that is a question for sim

also linux live kit hardcodes fstab which is to me a little annoying

jonas wrote:I thought it should not be at the top in case of usbmode, just before other bundles.

Maybe I expressed myself a little carelessly but I meant it like you say
at the very top a tmpfs and then savefile mounted in read-only. Then all other bundles.

jonas wrote:Except I can't do it via savefile...

Ohh yeah forgot about that, sorry

So do the decompress or create a bundle containing the modified /etc/rc.d/functions file

or put in your modules dir if too lazy
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7b56i7c5k2su ... it.sb?dl=0

Return to “General Discussion”