[SOLVED] problems with eudev

Post your comments, questions, bug reports or suggest new features for alphaOS
simargl
Site Admin

Re: eudev problems

Postby simargl » 18 Jun 2013, 13:11

Here is original linux firmware package http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/files/sources/firmware-1305.tar.xz used in previous versions, so maybe try than once more. I will return to that version anyway, looks like Porteus package here is not suitable.

simargl
Site Admin

Postby simargl » 19 Jun 2013, 10:04

Solved problem with black screen on boot by adding: modprobe fbcon in /etc/rc.d/sysinit, in section LOAD KERNEL MODULES as first command.

Marv
Proficient

Postby Marv » 20 Jun 2013, 16:16

simargl wrote:Solved problem with black screen on boot by adding: modprobe fbcon in /etc/rc.d/sysinit, in section LOAD KERNEL MODULES as first command.

This plus having i915 in load modules in rc.conf works just fine on both intel 855GM laptop and intel "series 4 chipset (core 2 duo) laptops. intel video drivers used, no extra 'flash' on boot or shutdown. Still no wireless on either. shuffled firmware back and forth, played with /var/run symlink etc. ipw2200 laptop works all but dhcpd. iwlwifi laptop still isnt creating wlan0 for wpa_supplicant. I'll try your next cut when it's out. Posted from trusty 6.0+

Edit: Adding iwldvm to the load modules line in rc.conf and rebooting allows a wireless connection on the iwlwifi laptop. wlan0 is then created correctly in /run/wpa_supplicant and restarting wpa_supplicant and refreshing shows networks. WEP key works. dhcpd still not accessing ip address or DNS from router. Now identical behavior in ipw2200 and iwlwifi laptops. OK. the dhcpd failure is just an ipv6 compatibility issue with my wireless router. Up through 6.0 and I believe 7.0, the kernel default was ipv4. In 8.0, the kernel defaults to ipv6 and my oldish router doesn't respond to ipv6 requests for lease. I've disabled ipv6 using a kernel parameter but haven't got an ipv4 substitute running yet. Shouldn't affect newer routers but might cause confusion to the 'older equipment crowd'. The ipv4LL fallback does work but is pretty clumsy IMHO.

Thanks

Marv
Proficient

Postby Marv » 29 Jun 2013, 23:40

For what it's worth, the Raring Puppy 5.6.94 (5.7alpha2), which uses eudev and the 3.95 kernel connects and gets ip lease from my ipv4 router with no problems. Used both frisbee and Dougal net wizard. Haven't gotten any further in that regard with alphaOS8.0.

Return to “General Discussion”