To be based on Manajro?

Post your comments, questions, bug reports or suggest new features for alphaOS
truongap

To be based on Manajro?

Postby truongap » 12 Aug 2014, 07:34

In my opinion, Manjaro is quite close to Arch but more stable to be a base. Have you guys (developers) think about it yet?

Scooby
Site Admin

Re: To be based on Manajro?

Postby Scooby » 12 Aug 2014, 08:41

I like arch

john3voltas
Expert

Postby john3voltas » 12 Aug 2014, 17:30

truongap wrote:In my opinion, Manjaro is quite close to Arch but more stable to be a base. Have you guys (developers) think about it yet?

How could it be the base if it doesn't have the rolling back machine that Arch repos have?
These rolling back repos are the only way to keep using pacman. Well, to be honest we could keep using pacman for AUR even if we stopped using the ARM repos...

efgee
Expert

Postby efgee » 12 Aug 2014, 19:26

Having several Linux machines I use both, alphaOS and ManjaroBox.
(both use OpenBox, pacman, etc.)
Both have their strength and their merit.

Basing alphaOS on Manjaro instead of arch would make alphaOS obsolete, and here is why:

The philosophy of alphaOS is beeing a small OS that comes only with really needed stuff.
All system files reside in one compressed file; therefore the Arch Rollback Machine is needed.
(system files will not change, keep same release date - Manjaro does not have a rollback machine)
A new version of alphaOS requires a new alphaOS ISO.
If you change that you end up with a slimmed down ManjaroBox (rolling release) which would make alphaOS obsolete, but I already said that...

It seems that keeping alphaOS as it is correlates with the wish of it's users and I assume it aligns well with sim's (the creator of alphaOS) vision of alphaOS.

Return to “General Discussion”