Wireless connection in 7.0

Post your comments, questions, bug reports or suggest new features for alphaOS
Marv
Proficient

Re: Wireless connection in 7.0

Postby Marv » 02 Jun 2013, 22:48

Just a thought here. I'm back running 6.0 here so I can't try this in 7.0, but every time my 6.0 (Grub4Dos frugal install, iwlwifi wireless) loses the connection and will not show networks when I subsequently run Pwireless2, it has been associated with a whiteout file for wlan0 in /var/run/wpa-supplicant in the save file. Boot into another OS, mount that save file, permanently remove the whiteout file, leaving wlan0 there,unmount that save file and reboot into 6.0. Presto, networks and connection back. What it means I don't know but possibly the whiteout/layers deletion system prevents wpa supplicant from restarting cleanly. Haven't played with it further but possibly it's a clue to someone. Other than that occasional glitch, my installation of the final version of 6.0 is like a rock. Prints, resource efficient, pacman on board for repos, nice panels and look'n'feel.

labbe5
Competent

Postby labbe5 » 07 Jun 2013, 01:25

Hi,

AlphaOS v2.0 is working fine with WIFI. I still use this version on my laptop hard drive for connecting to Web. I use v.7 with USB Flash drive with 3gb of packages, but not for wifi connection. All versions after v.2 seem not working as fine as v.2 for Wifi. It's more of an impression than a true analysis, though.

john3voltas
Expert

Postby john3voltas » 10 Jul 2013, 18:17

Has this wifi issue been solved?
I've been using ArchPup instead of alphaOS for some time due to cpu heating problem.
Yesterday I tried to boot alphaOS 8 and I found myself unable to use wifi.
In fact, when I rebooted to ArchPup I still couldn't use wifi.
So I booted win 7 and found out that wifi was disconnected by software (not hardware).
I reconnected wifi, rebooted into ArchPup and wifi worked fine.
Then I rebooted back into alphaOS 8 and wifi was gone again.
So I rebooted to ArchPup just to realize that wifi was also gone there and rebooted into win 7 just to find out that wifi was software disconnected again.
Am I doing anything wrong? It works fine between ArchPup and win 7. It just fails when I bootup alphaOS...
Cheers

simargl
Site Admin

Postby simargl » 10 Jul 2013, 18:54

Version 8.0 has eudev-204 (systemd fork) instead of udev-175, that version difference is quite drastic and many things must have changed for all that time. I had to move for this newer version because Arch uses it, and programs are linked to those newer udev libraries. Many users have many problems with this eudev fork, someone reported that even sound is not working, still I can't find any issues, for me everything works very well: cpu temperature is 43C, 3D graphics rendering is on par if not better than Windows 7.

Still thing might improve later as there is new systemd 205 released, and lots of activity in eudev git master.
https://github.com/gentoo/eudev/commits/master

One report of a successful wireless connection in version 8, see if that can help http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=710907#710907

john3voltas
Expert

Postby john3voltas » 11 Jul 2013, 01:26

Good tip.
Will try Roam and Refresh many times.
In the meantime I hope eudev gets stable/updated.
Cheers

john3voltas
Expert

Postby john3voltas » 11 Jul 2013, 16:10

john3voltas wrote:Good tip.
Will try Roam and Refresh many times.

This didn't help so I google and googled a lot.
Until I found someone at murga mentioning rfkill.
So I rebooted into windows 7 (to regain wifi radio...), rebooted again to ArchPup (with wifi radio working again) and installed rfkill via pacman -S rfkill.
Then I rebooted into alphaOS 8 and as usual lost wifi radio. So I rebooted to ArchPup and as usual still no wifi radio. But this time I had rfkill to play. So I issued "rfkill unblock all" and suddenly my wifi radio came back to life. :D
Now I've gotta figure a way to install rfkill in alphaOS 8 without wifi to test it...
If it works, that means that something in alphaOS is soft-blocking my wifi/bluetooth radio on boot up.
Simargl, if it works in alphaOS, could you please include rfkill in newer versions of alphaOS?
Cheers

simargl
Site Admin

Postby simargl » 11 Jul 2013, 23:05

You can download rfkill from https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/rfkill/, then install with pacman -U full-pkg-name... If it's needed I will add rfkill package off course ;)

john3voltas
Expert

Postby john3voltas » 12 Jul 2013, 00:33

simargl wrote:You can download rfkill from https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/rfkill/, then install with pacman -U full-pkg-name...

Great.
Will test ASAP and post my findings.

simargl wrote:If it's needed I will add rfkill package off course ;)

Well, that would be more like a workaround than a proper fix, right?
I mean, I think we should include rfkill in alphaOS but I guess there's gotta be some difference between ArchPup and alphaOS that leads to this wifi-radio software locking in the first place.
Here's where I got the idea to run rfkill http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=712246#712246. Looks like Puppy development is also having this issue.
If it's kernel issues, then we should use the workaround.
If it's something else, then we should probably find out what it is and fix it, right?

PS: I wonder...shouldn't Pwireless2 manage these software locks? Can't find that anywhere inside Pwireless2's GUI :?

john3voltas
Expert

Postby john3voltas » 12 Jul 2013, 01:21

john3voltas wrote:
simargl wrote:You can download rfkill from https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/rfkill/, then install with pacman -U full-pkg-name...

Great.
Will test ASAP and post my findings.

Well it kind of worked.
I mean, I did install rfkill and when I ran "rfkill unblock all" the wifi-radio came back to life. The led lit up and then it blinked a lot as it usually does. Then I ran Pwireless2 and now I could list my wifi networks (something impossible when the radio was software locked ;)).
But when I choose my network from the list and click on connect I get the following error message:
Weird :? my password is correct and my wireless network card supports wpa_supplicant.
I will keep trying tomorrow. Maybe I'll figure it out with a fresher head. ;)
So, it didn't work quite as expected but at least it looks promising. ;)
Cheers

john3voltas
Expert

Postby john3voltas » 12 Jul 2013, 16:46

Hi guys.
Update on the wifi novel: just tried alphaOS with rfkill and as expected the radio came back to life.
Then I opened Pwireless2 and pressed refresh a lot of times but it didn't work.
So I moved to the "debug" tab and pressed the "Reset Wpa_supplicant" button.
Then I moved back to the "Networks" tab and pressed "Refresh" 5 or 6 times and suddenly all the wifi networks popped up on screen.
Chose my wifi network and pressed "connect" and then I input the password and pressed "ok". And there it was working properly.
As a matter of fact I'm using alphaOS 7 as I am writing this post.
What do you think?
Cheers

Return to “General Discussion”