FireFox alternatives in GTK3?

Post your comments, questions, bug reports or suggest new features for alphaOS
efgee
Expert

Re: FireFox alternatives in GTK3?

Postby efgee » 16 Feb 2014, 20:59

I've used qupzilla in the past (not this version) and the only thing that stood out was that it "felt" snappier.
Other than that I remember frequent crashes (however it was quite a while when I tried it, could be different now).

If firefox is OK with size and functionality, what about firefox-aurora:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU5NjM
Haven't found information though if it's based on the gtk3 version of firefox:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?px=MTU2OTk&page=news_item

Using firefox-aurora right now and I like the interface.

Whatever we will use in the future, please take the web browser out of extra and give it his own sb file.

Happy testing :mrgreen:

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 16 Feb 2014, 21:28

efgee wrote:please take the web browser out of extra and give it his own sb file

Thats actually a good idea. Put that .sb in modules dir in iso
I like it

efgee
Expert

Postby efgee » 16 Feb 2014, 22:29

While we are at it:
extract everything that can't be considered as a part of the os out of extra.sb and move it into the modules dir.
Suppose the only thing to keep in mind then is which sb module needs to be loaded before the other...

simargl
Site Admin

Re: Frisbee alternatives in GTK3?

Postby simargl » 16 Feb 2014, 23:16

Connman-UI is a good idea. Thanks.

I added service script for comman in /etc/rc.d, then added conman to daemons line in /etc/rc.conf, also replaced frisbee in control center.

connmand -n
is command to start daemon

after that you start program with
connman-ui-gtk

It's working with eth0. Somone else will need to try does it work with wireless. :?:

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 17 Feb 2014, 15:46

Did a quick test of connman.
Seems like you have to do alot of configuring on commandline or config files.

Not as automated as frisbee.

I had no time to read up on connman.
I think this app is not for beginners!?

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 17 Feb 2014, 21:48

OK so I put in some time to get connman run wifi

I couldnt get it to work. It wont let me scan for networks
all I get is

Code: Select all

Error /net/connman/technology/wifi: Not supported

Anyone else get it to work?

simargl
Site Admin

Postby simargl » 19 Feb 2014, 20:49

Firefox will stay and off course Gtk2, frisbee and others - Qupzilla is unstable when there's flash content and causes occasional high CPU usage, midori-gtk3 package doesn't show flash at all it just can't find plugin. Maybe it would be better to save space with removing Gtk3 instead. :D

ncmprhnsbl
Competent

Postby ncmprhnsbl » 19 Feb 2014, 23:55

efgee wrote:While we are at it:
extract everything that can't be considered as a part of the os out of extra.sb and move it into the modules dir.
Suppose the only thing to keep in mind then is which sb module needs to be loaded before the other...

this is pretty much how porteus do it.
they have different file structure, with 'base' holding 000-kernel, 001-core(just these two will boot to cli) , 002-xorg , 003-[desktop] , 04-firefox(not loaded in 'fresh')
using this 'modularity' makes it easy to swap webbrowser, desktop , or even a custom xorg.
something similar could be done with slax file structure, i think, provided , as you say, the naming is correct(to load in right order)

simargl wrote: Maybe it would be better to save space with removing Gtk3 instead. :D

it was interesting experiment, which mostly worked.. tho ultimatly 'makesb gtk2' occurred ;)
.a peek at a possible future..but, at this stage, is probably easier to go gtk2 only, than gtk3 only..
(MrGreen at archbang is attempting this,with some difficulty,tho he has differnt issues to deal with)
but what does this mean for your gtk3 vala apps?

simargl
Site Admin

Next versions with GTK2...

Postby simargl » 03 Mar 2014, 19:58

Next version will be GTK2 only to save space (10-12 MB). Firefox is preventing removal of GTK2 and focus to GTK3. I think they don't make GTK3 version because flash plug-in works only with GTK2, and because of that, until it's possible have only GTK3 with Firefox and flash, we will just use GTK2.

GTK2 with some nice square and flat theme can look modern.

I recompiled evince, older version but last one that works with GTK2. Audacious is removed, and added will be latest Deadbeef version 0.6.1, it still can work with GTK2 and have new Design mode, with package size only 1.1MB. deadbeef-infobar plugin will be also included.

Frisbee is removed, connman will be new connection manager. Problem is connman-ui only supports GTK3, so we'll use it in console mode, unless someone has 'exceptional' desire to port connman-ui to GTK2.
Source code is on: https://github.com/tbursztyka/connman-ui

john3voltas
Expert

Re: Next versions with GTK2...

Postby john3voltas » 04 Mar 2014, 19:17

simargl wrote:unless someone has 'exceptional' desire to port connman-ui to GTK2.
Source code is on: https://github.com/tbursztyka/connman-ui

It's a pitty.
Some time ago you considered QT. What made you forget about it?
Cheers

Return to “General Discussion”