Synaptics touchpad in 7.0

Post your comments, questions, bug reports or suggest new features for alphaOS
Marv
Proficient

Synaptics touchpad in 7.0

Postby Marv » 22 May 2013, 14:05

Pretty much everything on my Pentium M class laptop with ipw2200 wireless, integrated intel graphics etc now working. Wireless, sound, display, governor, tint2 panel with battery display and my launchers,conky, suspend on lid closure all set up as in 6.0 on the old board. I'm now wrestling with the touchpad and so far none of the conf file substitutions or patches which worked to load the synaptics driver in 6.0 are sucessful here. The identical 50-synaptics.conf substitution in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d locks up both the touchpad and usb mouse. I'm assuming it is kernel related but so far haven't found the answer. Continuing searching and testing. Any fellow travelers advice welcome here.

OK got it. Attached is exactly what I have in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d. xf86-input-synaptics-1.63-2 was previously installed with pacman.
Synclient and flsynclient now work to control touchpad. Take it from there.
Attachments
xorg.conf.d.tar.gz
loads synaptics driver, alphaOS 7.0
(2.34 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Last edited by Marv on 22 May 2013, 15:11, edited 2 times in total.

simargl
Site Admin

Re: Synaptics touchpad in 7.0

Postby simargl » 22 May 2013, 15:03

Code: Select all

pacman -S xf86-input-synaptics

... missed that package, sorry, I hope touchpad will work after installing that one, I can't test it though.
Regards

Marv
Proficient

Postby Marv » 22 May 2013, 15:10

see my edited post above. I got it. Thanks

john3voltas
Expert

Postby john3voltas » 22 May 2013, 16:04

Marv, can you tell me what you meant by "not working"?
Do you mean your mouse cursor didn't actually move? Or did it work but not recognize some buttons?
My touchpad has been working on alphaOS previous versions to 7.0 but without side-scroll and double tap.
Cheers

Marv
Proficient

Postby Marv » 22 May 2013, 16:38

john3voltas wrote:Marv, can you tell me what you meant by "not working"?
Do you mean your mouse cursor didn't actually move? Or did it work but not recognize some buttons?
My touchpad has been working on alphaOS previous versions to 7.0 but without side-scroll and double tap.
Cheers

On a fresh boot (6.0 or 7.0), my touchpad, an ALPS, is set up as a mouse. No scrolling either vertical or horizontal, tapping enabled :twisted: , but reasonable speed and acceleration. The USB mouse recognized when plugged in and works perfectly. When I blow the setup in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d (I always have synaptics installed with pacman ), the cursor and mouse are completely locked up, center screen, no buttons respond so I have to use superkey +t to delete those files and restart X to get cursor/mouse back. Once I get the file substitution correct, I can run synclient or flsynclient from the terminal to kill tapping and get vert and horiz scrolling. That's where I was at with 6 and now with 7. Can't speak to double tap on the touchpad as I get in trouble with even single enabled ;)

Return to “General Discussion”