12.3 bugfix release

Global announcements
simargl
Site Admin

12.3 bugfix release

Postby simargl » 05 Nov 2013, 21:22

This is new version with many changes and improvements:
1. grub4dos gui now can find and properly setup menu.lst for alphaos frugal installation
2. /sbin is symlink to /usr/bin
3. /tmp becomes symlink and that change makes available tmpfs equal to RAM size, instead of being limited by save file size
4. reduced number of items in /bin and /lib
5. removed busybox links from /bin
5. removed /etc/modules.d directory
6. new script for activating and deactivating bundles
7. makesb script offers to load module (bundle) after if was built
8. gui for making save file works with bootcode from=
9. bootcode fresh can be used to skip loading save file
10. updated emendo text editor, gpicview and yad
Download link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/files

Reminder: Make sure that your save file doesn't have /tmp directory, and in .start replace
rdate -s tick.greyware.com with busybox rdate -s tick.greyware.com in you edited that file.

smil99
Proficient

Re: 12.3 bugfix release

Postby smil99 » 07 Nov 2013, 08:05

Have just tried V12.3 and as always, looks solid. Grub4Dos now creates correct entry for alphaos. Thanks simargl :) .

... Not so sure but it seems I saw marv's response here earlier on :? . Must also admit, I find it a bit puzzling for abandoning .sfs for .sb especially when the former seems to have gained much acceptance ;)
Cheers.

simargl
Site Admin

Postby simargl » 07 Nov 2013, 09:16

smil99 wrote:Must also admit, I find it a bit puzzling for abandoning .sfs for .sb especially when the former seems to have gained much acceptance ;)

.sb is default name for modules in linux-live, as short for "Slax bundle", and I didn't want to change that.

Changing bundles extension is very simple: In initramfs-tree/lib there is file .config with this option

# Bundle extension, for example 'sb' for .sb extension
BEXT=sb

john3voltas
Expert

Postby john3voltas » 07 Nov 2013, 21:13

Simargl can you elaborate on the gains of abandoning the SFS way and going the Live Linux way?
What exactly can we do now that we didn't do before? You know, pros and cons.
Cheers

simargl
Site Admin

Postby simargl » 07 Nov 2013, 23:16

With switch to linux-live we lost nothing, and maybe we didn't get that much, but it still has some benefits for example:

- load unlimited number of bundles,
- iso size reduced for 1 MB,
- faster boot,
- not depend on other distribution, but set of scripts designed for this purpose,
- up to date, clean and modern scripts in initramfs.

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 08 Nov 2013, 22:23

simargl wrote:Changing bundles extension is very simple: In initramfs-tree/lib there is file .config with this option
# Bundle extension, for example 'sb' for .sb extension
BEXT=sb

as sim says it would be very easy to change to .sfs again. However makesb and the others would have to be remade to
read in BEXT from .config and use that. Not so hard I would think.

Maybe a tutorial on how to change bext in .config would be welcome?

Maybe a boot parameter (bext=sfs) could be added that overuled the parameter in .config
if present. So it could be up to the user what extension they wanted to use.

something like adding directly before the source of .config in init

Code: Select all

clBEXT="$(cmdline_value bext)"
   if [ "$clBEXT" != "" ]; then sed -i "s|BEXT=.*|BEXT=$clBEXT|g" /lib/.config; fi

simargl wrote:With switch to linux-live we lost nothing, and maybe we didn't get that much

I disagree, I think one thing we lost was more flexibility. The init scripts took into account more
usercases(boot from cd, boot from iso, modules in different places, flexible name of savefile and place to reside.
flexible filesystem type in savefile... there are probably more), of course these could be put back in LinuxLive.
LinuxLive is less cluttered and that is good but some things are missing in my opinion.

These are just my opinions sim can do what she wants, me I like flexibility.
Could attract more users, they usually like a system they can set up after their own needs

simargl
Site Admin

Postby simargl » 09 Nov 2013, 09:36

Scooby wrote:Maybe a tutorial on how to change bext in .config would be welcome?

I just mentioned that it's easy to change, of course I will not change bundles extension, and especially not to .sfs. This is different distribution, independent from Puppy, so there is not reason to use sfs modules.

Scooby wrote:The init scripts took into account more
usercases(boot from cd, boot from iso, modules in different places, flexible name of savefile and place to reside.
flexible filesystem type in savefile... there are probably more), of course these could be put back in LinuxLive.
LinuxLive is less cluttered and that is good but some things are missing in my opinion.

When alphaos was based on Puppy, I still disabled all except 3 modes: live cd, usbflash or frugal hard disk. Now all that is still supported. Flexible filesystem to make save file - still here. Flexible name of savefile, I don't know what you mean with that: previously save file was named alphasave now is named changes.fs4 // it was never flexible, and why should it be?

What's needed to add are just two more boot codes:
1. noxorg - to disable Xorg autostart, and
2. usbmode - to save session only before reboot, or on user request - to decrease number of USB writes

alex

Postby alex » 09 Nov 2013, 15:33

Hi newbie here

i'm triyng to use makesb and system couldn't find packer. I put devel_12.sfs in alphaos directory, but refuse to load at boot. any hints?

I apologize for my english, and keep the good work!

Regards,
Alex

smil99
Proficient

Postby smil99 » 09 Nov 2013, 16:21

I put devel_12.sfs in alphaos directory, but refuse to load at boot. any hints?

Rename to devel_12.sb and move it to the /alphaos/modules folder. Indeed, that is where all .sb files have to be so as to be recognized after reboot.
Cheers.

simargl
Site Admin

Postby simargl » 09 Nov 2013, 17:36

MetroE is a X11 Mouse Theme.

I replaced Human-dmz with this as default. :)

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=160757

If someone wants to try it's easy:
1. click to extract 160757-MetroE.tar.gz, and place MetroE directory to /usr/share/icons
2. in Control center > gtk appearance > set mouse theme to MetroE
3. open /root/.Xdefaults find and change> Xcursor.theme: MetroE
4. logout

Return to “Announcements”