version 17.2

Global announcements
Scooby
Site Admin

version 17.2

Postby Scooby » 11 Nov 2015, 20:59

Version 17.2 is built using packages from Arch rollback machine on date 2015/08/25, and uses kernel 4.1.6

This is a cumulative release of fixes for alphaOS 17.1

See change-list and bug reports there.

notable:

* Added obarun repository
* Hopefully fixed vdev issue with USB peripherals, vdev is still in beta though!!!
* gnome-mpv replaces gmp-video
* Taeni upgraded by simargl, now it's really good!
* Conky downgraded to 1.9
* Tried to fix icons, what a mess.

known issues:

* peasywifi and ethernet not tested, peasywifi is in for a full overhaul when time present it self.
* No icon showing for gnome-mpv in tint2-bar, help please, anyone?

Alphaos home on sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos ... rce=navbar

alphaos_17.2-20151111-x86_64.iso Download here
sha256sum

Code: Select all

a82332b4f6243ca2d6440b45e73ff65be7c2516a9ec8e479f56404ec2b4f4024

comments:

I recommend running with devel_17.sb loaded.
Download here
Also you might want linux_4.1.6_src.sb for kernel header files.
Download here

There is no browser included in ISO but if you want something to start with I offer:

midori
Download here

icecat
Download here

Scooby
Site Admin

Re: version 17.2

Postby Scooby » 11 Nov 2015, 21:14

I fired up an old AlphaOS, 15 I think it was.

Think I liked Faenza-blue better than Potenza

For instance spacefm is very garish to me with Potenza.

What do you think?

efgee
Expert

Postby efgee » 12 Nov 2015, 00:59

Downloading...

Will post more once I have time to play with it.

Thank you.

:D

ncmprhnsbl
Competent

Postby ncmprhnsbl » 12 Nov 2015, 03:03

just done install to usb and gave it run.. posting from it :D Great work!
vdev seems a little faster at startup..
mouse all good and i tried my wacom driver nosystemd build, which worked also (i'll share the pkgbuild)

dhcpcd to get ethernet (you know this)

Scooby wrote: No icon showing for gnome-mpv in tint2-bar, help please, anyone?

not sure what you mean, i see a blue triangle?

Scooby wrote:Think I liked Faenza-blue better than Potenza

yeah...i think so..
i've kind of given up on icons and just take whats given...the trick is keeping compatibility with gtk3...

ncmprhnsbl
Competent

Postby ncmprhnsbl » 12 Nov 2015, 04:04

also heres vdev.log

[helpers] WARN: Could not find pvs in /sbin/pvs.  LVM physical volume symlinks in /dev/disk/by-id will not be created.
[helpers] WARN: Could not find pvs in /sbin/pvs.  LVM physical volume symlinks in /dev/disk/by-id will not be created.
02032:00007FB48809B700: [        action.c:0676] vdev_action_run_sync: ERROR: vdev_subprocess('"$VDEV_HELPERS/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh" $VDEV_MAJOR $VDEV_MINOR $(/bin/cat "$VDEV_OS_SYSFS_MOUNTPOINT/$VDEV_OS_DEVPATH/bDeviceClass" 2>/dev/null) vboxusers', use_shell=1) exit status = 1
02032:00007FB48809B700: [        action.c:1666] vdev_action_run_commands: ERROR: vdev_action_run_sync('"$VDEV_HELPERS/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh" $VDEV_MAJOR $VDEV_MINOR $(/bin/cat "$VDEV_OS_SYSFS_MOUNTPOINT/$VDEV_OS_DEVPATH/bDeviceClass" 2>/dev/null) vboxusers') rc = 1
02032:00007FB48809B700: [        action.c:0676] vdev_action_run_sync: ERROR: vdev_subprocess('"$VDEV_HELPERS/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh" $VDEV_MAJOR $VDEV_MINOR $(/bin/cat "$VDEV_OS_SYSFS_MOUNTPOINT/$VDEV_OS_DEVPATH/bDeviceClass" 2>/dev/null) vboxusers', use_shell=1) exit status = 1
02032:00007FB48809B700: [        action.c:1666] vdev_action_run_commands: ERROR: vdev_action_run_sync('"$VDEV_HELPERS/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh" $VDEV_MAJOR $VDEV_MINOR $(/bin/cat "$VDEV_OS_SYSFS_MOUNTPOINT/$VDEV_OS_DEVPATH/bDeviceClass" 2>/dev/null) vboxusers') rc = 1
[helpers] ERROR: partition not found: no metadata on parent device of /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0/ata1/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sda/sda7 (at /dev/metadata//sysfs/\x2fsys\x2f\x2fdevices\x2fpci0000:00\x2f0000:00:11.0\x2fata1\x2fhost0\x2ftarget0:0:0\x2f0:0:0:0\x2fblock\x2fsda)
02032:00007FB48809B700: [        action.c:1666] vdev_action_run_commands: ERROR: vdev_action_run_daemonlet('/usr/lib/vdev/disk.sh') rc = 5
[helpers] ERROR: partition not found: no metadata on parent device of /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0/ata1/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sda/sda6 (at /dev/metadata//sysfs/\x2fsys\x2f\x2fdevices\x2fpci0000:00\x2f0000:00:11.0\x2fata1\x2fhost0\x2ftarget0:0:0\x2f0:0:0:0\x2fblock\x2fsda)
02032:00007FB48809B700: [        action.c:1666] vdev_action_run_commands: ERROR: vdev_action_run_daemonlet('/usr/lib/vdev/disk.sh') rc = 5
[helpers] ERROR: partition not found: no metadata on parent device of /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0/ata1/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sda/sda5 (at /dev/metadata//sysfs/\x2fsys\x2f\x2fdevices\x2fpci0000:00\x2f0000:00:11.0\x2fata1\x2fhost0\x2ftarget0:0:0\x2f0:0:0:0\x2fblock\x2fsda)
parent: all initial devices processed

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 12 Nov 2015, 18:01

ncmprhnsbl wrote:vdev seems a little faster at startup..

Yes but would be good to be a bit faster still.

ncmprhnsbl wrote:mouse all good and i tried my wacom driver nosystemd build, which worked also (i'll share the pkgbuild)

Thats great news man. :lol:

ncmprhnsbl wrote:dhcpcd to get ethernet (you know this)

Yap, it's on the TODO-list

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
Scooby wrote: No icon showing for gnome-mpv in tint2-bar, help please, anyone?

not sure what you mean, i see a blue triangle?

Yeah that was what I meant, I didn't get that.

I f***ed around with that bleeping icon for so long and couldn't get it to work.
Now after reboot it works without any effort.

That is to funny man :D

ncmprhnsbl wrote:also heres vdev.log

VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh error is due to alphaos don't have a vboxusers group by default
Maybe I should add it?

Can you say something about sda5, sda6 and sda7.
Are they special in any way?

Jude says in comment in code at the place where these error arises

# could not find parent metadata...maybe we didn't process it yet?
         # but this would be a bug, since we process devices in
         # breadth-first order, from parents to children

Do you think it is related to https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev/issues/78 ?

About lvm and pvs warnings - I get those too.
Now I am not using LVM so am OK with this

One can install those if it is wanted but there is a warning on pvs and you should configure it
properly for vdev otherwise an upstart can take like 20 minutes

Is there something not working on your system? perhaps linked to the messages in vdev log?

ncmprhnsbl
Competent

Postby ncmprhnsbl » 14 Nov 2015, 06:26

roughly counted 20secs from vdev start to desktop -- half what it was.. so yeah.. needs something..
Scooby wrote:VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh error is due to alphaos don't have a vboxusers group by default
Maybe I should add it?

error messages take time i suppose... it couldnt hurt, someone might want to run vbox..
Scooby wrote:Can you say something about sda5, sda6 and sda7.
Are they special in any way?

sda3 is an extended partition with sda4(ntfs) sda5(ext4) sda6(ext4) sda7(ext4) all just storage.. more than likely in need of fsck
this is quite probably a bit stupid, on account of me not having much of an idea with partitioning at the time..
i'll see what difference there is on a different machine (similar partitioning tho)
Scooby wrote:Is there something not working on your system? perhaps linked to the messages in vdev log?

you mean hardwarewise? not that i know of,, apart from dodgy parttioning
other stuff > straight arch, porteus etc seem to boot up no worries..

EDIT: heres the log for second machine... which oddly took twice as long

02177:00007F92A4C03700: [        action.c:0676] vdev_action_run_sync: ERROR: vdev_subprocess('"$VDEV_HELPERS/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh" $VDEV_MAJOR $VDEV_MINOR $(/bin/cat "$VDEV_OS_SYSFS_MOUNTPOINT/$VDEV_OS_DEVPATH/bDeviceClass" 2>/dev/null) vboxusers', use_shell=1) exit status = 1
02177:00007F92A4C03700: [        action.c:1666] vdev_action_run_commands: ERROR: vdev_action_run_sync('"$VDEV_HELPERS/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh" $VDEV_MAJOR $VDEV_MINOR $(/bin/cat "$VDEV_OS_SYSFS_MOUNTPOINT/$VDEV_OS_DEVPATH/bDeviceClass" 2>/dev/null) vboxusers') rc = 1
02177:00007F92A4C03700: [        action.c:0676] vdev_action_run_sync: ERROR: vdev_subprocess('"$VDEV_HELPERS/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh" $VDEV_MAJOR $VDEV_MINOR $(/bin/cat "$VDEV_OS_SYSFS_MOUNTPOINT/$VDEV_OS_DEVPATH/bDeviceClass" 2>/dev/null) vboxusers', use_shell=1) exit status = 1
02177:00007F92A4C03700: [        action.c:1666] vdev_action_run_commands: ERROR: vdev_action_run_sync('"$VDEV_HELPERS/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh" $VDEV_MAJOR $VDEV_MINOR $(/bin/cat "$VDEV_OS_SYSFS_MOUNTPOINT/$VDEV_OS_DEVPATH/bDeviceClass" 2>/dev/null) vboxusers') rc = 1
parent: all initial devices processed

no disk stuff here...
EDit2:
shutdown went reboot on this laptop - i7 ati graphics

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 14 Nov 2015, 17:33

ncmprhnsbl wrote:roughly counted 20secs from vdev start to desktop -- half what it was.. so yeah.. needs something..

Yeah mine is more like 52s, i think udev is like 15-20s, right?

JC nelson has done some work on speed with the daemon-let approach allready.
hopefully more could follow.

I am thinking of trying something like a semi-static /dev for speed up
Dunnow if it would work or if it is good.

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
Scooby wrote:VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh error is due to alphaos don't have a vboxusers group by default
Maybe I should add it?

error messages take time i suppose... it couldnt hurt, someone might want to run vbox..

Will add it in 17.3

ncmprhnsbl wrote:EDIT: heres the log for second machine... which oddly took twice as long

Nothing strange in log and I have about the same startup time here.

ncmprhnsbl wrote:EDit2:
shutdown went reboot on this laptop - i7 ati graphics

Don't know what to do about that?

*EDIT*

I got a little bit curious as to why the second box was twice as slow and think that is important to investigate.
So if you have any time to spare would you please be kind enough to change in /etc/vdev/vdevd.conf to

loglevel=debug

And boot up both systems and send me the logs?

With loglevel debug there will be time benchmarks to analyze i.e
where does vdev spend the time

Will pm you with email-adress if that is acceptable way to share logs

ncmprhnsbl
Competent

Postby ncmprhnsbl » 14 Nov 2015, 23:17

laptop log sent, will sort out other box later.. vdev is quicker now ... need more boots to see how consistant this is..

a bit more about the shutdown> reboot:
screen goes to final messages.. syncing filesystem and such... then shows wallpaper .. then reboot....
ha... just did a boot and shutdown and it worked np... some inconsistancy ... further investigation needed...

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 17 Nov 2015, 18:50

ncmprhnsbl wrote:sda3 is an extended partition with sda4(ntfs) sda5(ext4) sda6(ext4) sda7(ext4) all just storage.. more than likely in need of fsck
this is quite probably a bit stupid, on account of me not having much of an idea with partitioning at the time..

Since I got another user with an extended partition I want to clarify this situation.

ncmprhnsbl, do you get /dev/sda and /dev/sda4-7 correct and they are operational

I ask in regard to

[helpers] ERROR: partition not found: no metadata on parent device of /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0/ata1/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sda/sda7 (at /dev/metadata//sysfs/\x2fsys\x2f\x2fdevices\x2fpci0000:00\x2f0000:00:11.0\x2fata1\x2fhost0\x2ftarget0:0:0\x2f0:0:0:0\x2fblock\x2fsda)

So no metadata on parent device, this being the extended partition in partition table for primary partitions (your case sda3)

Does vdev handle this correctly is the question here.
Should something be done?

Return to “Announcements”