Global announcements
simargl
Site Admin

Version 16.x Final has been released

Postby simargl » 26 Oct 2014, 09:54

16.1 changelog:
- added missing ca-certificates packages
- taeni has support for opening new windows
- mpv downgraded to 0.5.4 (newer version had bug with positioning inside GtkDrawingArea)
- wget upgrade to 1.16 (fixes security vulnerabilities)

------------------------------------
Version 16.0 is built using packages from Arch rollback machine on date 2014/10/25, and uses kernel 3.17.1.

Tips for the first time users:
- Graphical installer (contribution from forum member Aspi) is available and appears as the last icon in the Control Center. This system uses frugal installation which means all needed files will be in just one directory.
- If you want to build packages from AUR first you need to download and activate devel bundle from sourceforge. To activate or deactivate bundles you just need to click on them, and action dialog will appear.
- For using makesb script, as preferred method for installing applications, file system of partition where alphaOS is installed needs to be fully supported in Linux, for instance ext4.

If you like this operating system and want to see more version in the future, please consider making a donation, even small donation can make a big difference. Thank you.

Download link is bellow
http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos ... rce=navbar

john3voltas
Expert

Re: Version 16.x Final has been released

Postby john3voltas » 26 Oct 2014, 12:46

Great!
Sim, are you still uploading? Because I followed the link but I can't find the iso for download.

smil99
Proficient

Postby smil99 » 27 Oct 2014, 12:20

Thanks for V16 sim :D . Writing from it now. Love the new launcher. Any way to show only favorites? The new rollback date is a big relieve as I can now install latest software without bothering to tinker with dependencies and symlinks.
Cheers.

simargl
Site Admin

Postby simargl » 01 Nov 2014, 10:52

Here is a list of noticed problems in this version:
- for applications with CSD, right click menu on headerbar has just one item and that is "Close", all others were removed by Gtk developers, including very useful and needed item "Always on top".
- on boot there is noticeable delay of some 3-5 seconds on "Remounting root filesystem" first step aftter switch from initramfs
- gmp-video, video is not centered properly on start
- VirtualBox doesn't want to auto load its module: needs manual "modprobe vboxdrv" from terminal

Known bug:
- opensnap (aero snap feature for openbox) doesn't work for apps with headerbar

Scooby reported missing ca-certificates
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1189#p3424

Anything more?

smil99 wrote:Thanks for V16 sim :D . Writing from it now. Love the new launcher. Any way to show only favorites? The new rollback date is a big relieve as I can now install latest software without bothering to tinker with dependencies and symlinks.
Cheers.

Thanks! No, launcher shows everything, it gets all items using gnome-menus library and shows them in GtkIconView. All 15 desktop files included by default are visible without scrolling, so it's very simple I never liked cluttered menus.

efgee
Expert

Postby efgee » 02 Nov 2014, 21:18

Like the launcher as well.

simargl wrote:Anything more?

Don't know how it happened, but at one point in time the launcher didn't show up anymore.
I think it was some combination of going back and forth between the right click desktop menu and the launcher.
Not sure though.
(can't try it out at the moment...)

Didn't try out the new installer but will test is as soon as I can.

Thank you for your hard work sim.

BTW: Liked the firewall in older versions (wondering why it's not available anymore)

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 03 Nov 2014, 19:18

efgee wrote:...
BTW: Liked the firewall in older versions (wondering why it's not available anymore)

I tried to make a .sb version of puppy firewall using yad here
It is not tested alot. It's the same as was included in alphaOS before.

Maybe I could try to port Peasy Firewall Monitor - a diagnostic tool for checking the status of the firewall.
to help in testing?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4&start=15

simargl
Site Admin

Postby simargl » 07 Nov 2014, 17:41

Uploaded new iso 16.1 with some fixes; changelog is in first post.

simargl
Site Admin

Postby simargl » 18 Jan 2015, 16:37

Just so you people don't get surprised some time later, I need to announce now that I will stop maintaining this system. And I'm sorry if someone will feel disappointed. All files will still be available on sourceforge, including zip master source from github. That's it. Thanks everyone!

efgee
Expert

Postby efgee » 19 Jan 2015, 21:39

Well simargl,
thank you for your hard work and that you let me be a part of your project.

Questions:
How long will the AlphaOS Web page be available?
Will you shut down this forum anytime soon?
What is the state of the "Building alphaOS from source" instructions?
Is there an AlphaOS user that has enough knowledge and time to be the new maintainer?
AlphaOS is just too good to let it die...

Thanks again simargl,
I've enjoyed the ride...

:(

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 20 Jan 2015, 19:21

simargl wrote:Just so you people don't get surprised some time later, I need to announce now that I will stop maintaining this system. And I'm sorry if someone will feel disappointed. All files will still be available on sourceforge, including zip master source from github. That's it. Thanks everyone!

Not disappointed, you will be sorely missed

If simargl agrees I will try to maintain alphaOS

However I'm a poor replacement since I'm not really a system builder.
That is have not many ideas for new additions, not exactly a visionary.
But maintain sim's base I can do.

I don't know what deal you have for forum site but I express my wishes for it to stay up
or if you must take it down, message me first so we can preserve source of posts.

Also sim I want to put files back up on github with your permission

Return to “Announcements”