alphaOS 15.0 - 15.4

Global announcements
smil99
Proficient

Re: alphaOS 15.0 - 15.2

Postby smil99 » 01 Jul 2014, 10:42

V15.2 is running quite well here except that Grub2 is unable to detect other systems on different partitions of the same hard disk. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 01 Jul 2014, 17:00

smil99 wrote:V15.2 is running quite well here except that Grub2 is unable to detect other systems on different partitions of the same hard disk. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

I don't know how to "detect" with grub2, I hacked in the menu entries manually
but I run it from removable flash maybe it is different.

Actually when I checked my grub.cfg I had only, except for alphaos entries, one other entry for booting to grub4dos
and from which I am able to boot to other OS's.

Did you use Aspi's installer?

Aspi
Advanced

Postby Aspi » 02 Jul 2014, 23:36

so, it seems I should chime in.

the installer does not autodetect anything, it is merely generated for alphaos, and sim wisely decided to add an entry for any local Windows as well. the 'Windows 7' entry should boot whatever you want to boot, I reckon.

if this is not sufficient, you could just edit the /boot/grub/grub.cfg, as suggested, using for example Arch Wiki references: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gr ... g_grub.cfg

sim: regarding UEFI, I've tested on an UEFI computer and Virtualbox. should work, but I'm not experienced either, so the UEFI support could be considered preliminary. it still does boot via legacy stuff shizz idk, not via EFI stub like this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EF ... s_for_UEFI, that's up to sim. for me, the preliminary support is enough for now, expand alphainst.sh at will and need :)

rgb1
Competent

Postby rgb1 » 03 Jul 2014, 02:38

smil99 wrote:V15.2 is running quite well here except that Grub2 is unable to detect other systems on different partitions of the same hard disk. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

I haven't tried alphaOS 15.2 but generally, after adding the new menu entry to etc/grub.d/40_custom, what you would do is generate a new grub.cfg file.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Automatically_generating_using_.2Fetc.2Fgrub.d.2F40_custom_and_grub-mkconfig

Aspi
Advanced

Postby Aspi » 03 Jul 2014, 11:50

rgb1 wrote:
Cheers.

I haven't tried alphaOS 15.2 but generally, after adding the new menu entry to etc/grub.d/40_custom, what you would do is generate a new grub.cfg file.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Automatically_generating_using_.2Fetc.2Fgrub.d.2F40_custom_and_grub-mkconfig

that is generally true, but not in the alphaOS case. as we are using a rather uncommon setup, a live install, we will have a hard time not configuring grub.cfg manually. so can edit grub.cfg manually, no other option.

generally, what grub-mkconfig does is just source 40_custom anyways, so it's the same process; in this setup, you just have to do it yourself and not through grub-mkconfig. there is a reason grub.cfg is opened after writing it, so it needs to pass your quality control, the user (full movie#39m10s is better). this is arch after all: understand it, or don't use it ;)

smil99
Proficient

Postby smil99 » 04 Jul 2014, 15:13

Scooby wrote:
Actually when I checked my grub.cfg I had only, except for alphaos entries, one other entry for booting to grub4dos
and from which I am able to boot to other OS's. Did you use Aspi's installer?

Yes, I used that as it is already present in V15.2 and Grub4Dos is no more. My grub.cfg doesn't generate any entry for booting to grub4dos.
Aspi wrote:
generally, what grub-mkconfig does is just source 40_custom anyways, so it's the same process; in this setup, you just have to do it yourself and not through grub-mkconfig. there is a reason grub.cfg is opened after writing it, so it needs to pass your quality control, the user (full movie#39m10s is better). this is arch after all: understand it, or don't use it

I think it will be much easier for the user if a bundled booting method is able to detect other OSes without much intervention. Grub4Dos excelled in that department. Is there any way to include that capability in Grub2?
Cheers.

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 04 Jul 2014, 20:31

smil99 wrote:Yes, I used that as it is already present in V15.2 and Grub4Dos is no more. My grub.cfg doesn't generate any entry for booting to grub4dos.

Not for me either, I hacked it in
with grub4dos installed on flashdrive

Code: Select all

menuentry "Grub4Dos" {
linux /_ISO/e2b/grub/grub.exe
}

smil99 wrote:I think it will be much easier for the user if a bundled booting method is able to detect other OSes without much intervention. Grub4Dos excelled in that department. Is there any way to include that capability in Grub2?
Cheers.

Yes much easier for the user and much harder for the programmer

How does grub4dos autodetect?

Aspi
Advanced

Postby Aspi » 06 Jul 2014, 16:59

I agree, detection would be nice. add it. (tip: os-prober doc)

do you install at HDD or USB? I can't see the point of detecting other systems if installing for USB, though would be nice for HDD install. I use for USB only.

Scooby
Site Admin

Postby Scooby » 06 Jul 2014, 19:21

Aspi wrote:
do you install at HDD or USB? I can't see the point of detecting other systems if installing for USB, though would be nice for HDD install. I use for USB only.

If this question was for me then I only install to USB. The point for me would be to have an entry on my boot menu for win
(which admittedlly I haven't used for a long time) so I don't have to go to BIOS and change things

Aspi
Advanced

Postby Aspi » 06 Jul 2014, 22:04

Scooby wrote:If this question was for me

unfortunately, the English language has the same term for single you and plural you. I meant you, as in all y'all alphaOS users :)

sim added an entry for win7 though, no? it's not a real win7 entry, it's a chainload entry to whatever is at the first hard drive (like in so many Live media).

I'll continue developing alphainst.sh later on if I feel the urge, I have some ideas, but it's not a priority now, so someone else will have to take the challenge :)

Return to “Announcements”